Monday, June 9, 2014

18 month review Ute and Camper

Hello all
18 month review already, how time flies. I have now been on the road since March 3rd 2014 and one thing that has become apparent is time.
I cannot comprehend how anyone can do a trip around this vast country in 3, 6 or even 12 months, there is just so much to see. Spend a couple of nights here, move to the next spot and spend a night or two, and a week has passed before you know it.
Distance travelled so far..............16.426km
fuel cost so far.............................$2526.36

the journey so far
  The Ute................
All going pretty well there, apart from a fuel breather breaking near Alice Springs, which was promptly replaced under warranty. The Ute has been punished by heat, humidity, corrugations, water crossings and bull dust. I desperately need to find a car wash at the moment as it looks like it is 10 years old and is a nice shade of red.
The one thing I have noticed about the Savannah Way, is that every creek or river crossing is closely followed by a bull dust patch, so that all the dust sticks to the wet vehicle. A good clean inside and out is required.



The only problem I need to address is the under engine bash plate, which was damaged by a hidden rock at Lorella Springs. I will get this repaired or replaced before Cape York.
Economy is good with 9.8 L/100km achieved pulling up the Stuart Highway fully loaded from Port Augusta. Since arriving in the head and humidity, thus using the airconditioner I am getting between 10 and 11 litres/100km
 With the extra fuel capacity, of the fuel bladder I can easily get 1100-1200 kilometres between fill ups. This is a handy feature, as I can pick and choose where I fill up. Diesel was $3.00 / litre at Lorella Springs...............

The Camper...............
I joke with Kevin at PalominoRV Australia that my Camper is the only 6 year old, 18 month old camper around. By that I am saying in 18 months I have probably given it 6 years of punishment and use that anyone else would achieve, especially now living in it full time.


Apart from the roof winder mechanism binding up in Alice Springs (covered in that post) the only other problem was after 2500km of bulldust, ruts and corrugations is that the clip that holds the fridge door closed broke.
The camper has always let a small amount of dust in through the rear (negligible) but I have noticed quite a bit more dust inside, but the fine bull dust up here and the regularity is something I haven't experienced before, so I forgive it for that.


The Combination...............

After many kilometres of heat, humidity, deep crossings and rough tracks I only have a couple of issues.
Because of the heat, I am finding the Waeco freezer is giving the camper battery a hiding. Down south I don't normally run the camper fridge while driving but up here I need to. With the 3 way fridge running and the Waeco pedaling hard in the heat I find that even after a 200km day the battery hasn't charged up. All the power is being taken by the fridge and freezer, so running the solar daily or plugging in is needed to keep up.
To be honest I have been surprised how far I can get this combination, at Lorella I took the camper out to Nudie Hot Springs, with numerous short sharp creek crossings and it handled it with ease. Also sandy sections proved effortless, I think lowering the tyre pressures have a lot to do with this, but all in all I am surprised at the off road ability. 
The only stumbling block is the clearance of the Ute (it's a bit low) but believe it of not I think it goes better off road with the camper on the back than without!

So far I have had over 100mm of rain around Alice, 35c and 55% humidity daytime temperature around the Top End a hot dusty trip across the Gulf Country and then 35mm of rain today at Mt Surprise. 
Having so few issues and problems after the country I have travelled speaks volumes for both products.
Bye for now.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment