Thursday, April 23, 2015

Carnarvon to Tom Price (includes Quobba, Exmouth and Cape Range)

Hello all,
From Carnarvon I travelled out to Quobba Blowholes and the wreck of the Korean Star.

Quobba blowholes
Quobba Blowholes


I went up as far as the wreck of the Korean Star, I came to see this wreck back in, I think, about 1995 but after numerous cyclones there isn't much left. The poor Korean Star had a very short history, built in1984 the 184 metre bulk carrier dragged anchor off Cape Cuvier in cyclonic conditions on May 20 1988 while waiting for it's cargo of salt. The severe weather tossed it up onto the rock shelf and it broke in two. All 19 crew members survived.

Salt loading facility at Cape Cuvier
Quobba Coast



photo's I took in 1995

By the time I got to Coral Bay the rain started. It rained all the way to Exmouth, but the weather cleared out on Cape Range despite the forecast of 40-80mm of rain for the next few days. The wind was unrelenting and the flies worse, the water was also murky, so wasn't much good for snorkeling. The sunsets were spectacular though.

Osprey Camp Cape Range
Sunset at Osprey

Sunset at Osprey
Osprey Camp Cape Range
Cape Range
Sunset at Cape Range
Sunset at Cape Range
I could have spent weeks here but I have an appointment with the Kimberley for Winter......a note for those visiting Exmouth area though...............I was quoted $49/night single at the non Big4 Park in town, I believe the Big4 is about $10/night dearer!!!!!!! The National Park is $10 per person per night and the Visitors Centre has free Hot Showers and Free drinking water taps for filling your tanks.

Charles Knife Canyon, Cape Range (Exmouth Gulf in the background)
Charles Knife Canyon, Cape Range
I spent a night at Bullara Station Stay before the long drive out to Tom Price to restock. 



Tomorrow I plan to head out to the Gorges of Karajini National Park for a few days before cutting back through Millstream National Park to Karratha.
Bye for now......

No comments:

Post a Comment