Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Home Valley to Broome via Wolfe Creek Crater

Hello all
I left Kununurra after restocking and headed south. It was a good thing I had a good look around The bungles last year, as it was evacuated and has been closed for the last few days due to fires.

Wolfe Creek Metiorite Crater
It was  a long dusty drive out to Wolfe Creek but the road was pretty good.

 The crater averages about 875 metres in diameter, 60 metres from rim to present crater floor and it is estimated that the meteorite that formed it had a mass of about 50,000 tonnes, while the age is estimated to be less than 300,000 year.

Wolfe Creek Crater
 The spectacular thing I thought was the location. Few trees and fairly flat countryside on the edge of the Tanami Desert. If it had been in hilly terrain the visual effect would have been a lot less dramatic.
Wolfe Creek Crater
the road in
Back in Halls Creek, I headed out to Palm Springs with the thought of camping the night. Upon arriving I discovered a freshly dead Kangaroo adjacent to the small campsite and with the temperature hovering around 36-37c I decided to keep moving and avoid the smell as the day progressed.
Palm Springs
Sawpit Gorge
Luckily i decided to head back to halls Creek, a small fire I saw several ridges away had grown to a considerable bushfire and was now burning alongside the road for about a kilometre. The fire grew very quickly and makes me wonder if this is the same fire which closed the Bungles and the Great Northern Highway.


China Wall
Sitting in the airconditioned ute waiting for a tour Group to leave at China Wall, I realised the driver and host looked familiar..............yep across the road neighbours from Alice Springs and now based in Broome. It is such a small world.

China Wall
After stopping in Fitzroy Crossing and Derby I am now in Broome chilling out for a week or so.

In the next few days I plan to head up to Cape Levique for a week, maybe two 

Bye for now......

No comments:

Post a Comment