Saturday, May 9, 2015

Cape Leveque

Hello All
After hearing all the horror stories about the road out to Cape Leveque, I headed off with trepidation.
The road while certainly not a highway was better than I expected and in fact much better than some roads I have been on.

Beagle Bay Chuch
Pallottine Fathers from Germany took over Beagle Bay Mission with two priests and four brothers. In 1907, the St John of God Sisters began to run a mission school at Beagle Bay and in 1918 the famous church was opened It features a pearl shell altar which is now a tourist attraction. 
Beagle Bay Church
Beagle Bay Church

Next stop was Middle Lagoon, a popular weekend escape destination for locals but in saying that.....the beachfront camp hometown list read as.........Warrnambool(Vic), Perth, Tamworth(NSW), Traralgon(Vic) and Paynesville(Vic)
Not long after setting up, in came Neil and Denise from Tamworth, who I have been bumping into since Hopetoun in Southwest Western Australia.

Middle Lagoon
the view from camp
the view from camp
Sunset, Middle Lagoon
It was a special feeling to be able to sit at camp and watch Dolphins playing, Turtles swimming around, and small Sharks cruising the shallows, and nice company as well.......


not a person in sight at Middle Lagoon
sunset from my door
The sunset were spectacular.


going
going
going
gone
Tomorrow I head to Derby and the start of the Gibb River Road, so it might be a while before the next post.
There is no coverage along this road, and I have no set time along here. Hopefully even picking up a little work along the way if I get lucky, but rest assured there should be some great pictures when I next post.
The rough plan is a leisurely cruise visiting all the side destinations as well. I want to visit Mitchell Falls again and maybe even Kalumburu too. And finishing off with a week or so at ElQuestro Station.
So don't give up on me, I will be back depending on how long I spend along the Gibb......exciting times and magnificent scenery ahead.
I have also realised that May is time for my 6 monthly review on my Camper and Ute, but this will have to wait until I get out the other end of the Gibb.
Bye for now

3 comments:

  1. Hi Barry

    Hamburger with the lot passed me at Mt Barnett doing bout 90km on the Gibb. Some people never learn.

    The Triton with the bent chassis is now in Derby, in lot No 13 at the Caravan Park!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought he would have learnt his lesson by now but apparently not......
      I hope the triton didnt tow the caravan there??????????????

      Delete
    2. He sure did. All the way to Derby and then onto his next stop.

      At best the Triton had a bent chassis, at worst a broken chassis.

      A serious danger to other road users.

      Michael

      Delete