Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Karratha to Broome

Hello from a sweaty Broome all.
After leaving Karratha, the trek was still North.

Red Dog Statue, Dampier

After a look in at Port Sampson and Cossack, I arrived at Port Hedland, where I again bumped into Neil and Denise from Tamworth, who I first met at Hopetoun and Windy Harbour way down South.

Iron Ore Carrier entering Port Hedland
I was astounded to count over 20 ships moored off Port Hedland waiting for their turn to be loaded with Iron Ore.
Next stop was Eighty Mile Beach, a beautiful beach and immaculate caravan park in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing watching the 1.5 metre Reef Shark cruising the shallows no more than 2 metres offshore. I gave any thoughts of going for a swim a definite miss.

80 mile beach
80mile beach
In stark contrast to my next stop, Barn Hill Station. Rundown and overpriced the only upside was a nice beach, if you could get to it through the burrs.

Barn Hill
Barn Hill
I am now in Broome, a very sticky Broome, close to 100% humidity at night and lows of 23-24c and days of 75% humidity and 33-34c but at least the flies have gone.......


Tomorrow i head towards Cape Leveque after 4 lovely days in Broome. The humidity is now clearing and its looking good up there. I haven't posted much about Broome as I covered it pretty well in my Kimberley Tour 2012 blog listed on the right side of this page

Cable Beach
After Cape Leveque it will be back to Broome to do some laundry before heading to Derby and the start of the Gibb River Road.
Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment