Sunday, February 14, 2016

Alice Springs to Port Augusta

Hello all
Upon leaving Alice I think I accidentally hit the "HOT" switch. By the time I arrived at Marla in far North South Australia, I was saved from melting by the pool.





Marla was the end of the tar for quite a few kilometres for me, as I was taking the Oodnadatta Track. There is a saying that "The only people who are seen on the Oodnadatta Track in Summer are madmen and German Tourists"
I am not a German Tourist, so that only leaves one option................and now I tend to agree. If the heat doesn't get you the flies will!..............




Daytime temperatures were 42-43c and nightime 24-25c and still hovering around 36-38c as late as 11pm

blue - driving red - flying
 I only saw 4 or 5 other vehicles between Marla and William Creek, where I took a Lake Eyre scenic Flight.
Gibber Plain on Oodnadatta Track
Algebuckina old Railway Bridge over The Nealles River
approaching Lake Eyre North
Lake Eyre still had 2 metres of water in Belt Bay but was evaporating fast.


ABC Bay Lake Eyre
Lake Eyre
Lake Eyre
There was a stiff breeze, so no reflections, but it didn't deter the flies.


Lake Eyre
Lake Eyre
flying up The Warburton Groove
Warburton Groove
Warburton Groove
Warburton and Macumba River Junction
The Nealles River
The Nealles
the Nealles
The Oodnadatta Track has been covered in earlier posts, so This time I skipped over it because it was just so damn hot. The coolest place was in the airconditioned vehicle driving.


Oodnadatta Track
Oodnadatta Track
old desalination Tower at Beresford Siding
Beresford Siding
Curdimurka Siding
I pushed on in the heat, I had wanted to stay a night or two at Farina but it was 42c and a howling wind.
Last night was spent melting at Arkaroola in the Gammon Ranges National Park, a place I last visited in 1983!
At this Stage, I was totally over the heat so pushed on to Port Augusta for some Sea Breeze.


Bunyeroo Scenic Drive, Flinders Ranges
Bunyeroo scenic Drive
Upon arrival at Port Augusta, I discovered that the roof skylight hadn't made the distance. I had been looking at it in Alice and found the harsh Central Australian sun had made it brittle. I had hoped it would hold out until Melbourne but today it just fell to bits. So tomorrow I will remove the camper and drop it to ground level to allow me to reach the roof  and Gaffa tape plastic over it until I can source a new one.

Thats about all for now
Bye

 

No comments:

Post a Comment