Monday, September 26, 2016

Carnarvon - kennedy Range - Mt Augustus - Carnarvon

Hello all
 My plan to escape the wind failed................I headed out to Kennedy Range with a howling gale pushing me.

The Cobbled Road north of Gascoyne Junction
 In the 1930's a work for the dole scheme funded the upgrades to the original roads that were often impassable after rain. The Road was cobble paved over the boggy sections to allow the mail run to get through.
Temple Gorge Campground, Kennedy Range
Upon arriving at Temple Gorge I was greeted by the lovely Campsite Hosts, Colin and Maureen.

Temple Gorge Campground, Kennedy Range
The first day was perfect weather, the second hot, and then the wind found me again........

Kennedy Range
departing Kennedy Range
I was feeling a little isolated as I headed towards Mt Augustus. In the 240km to Mt Augustus I saw 2 vehicles only.
approaching Mt Augustus
one of those vehicles was 2 very relieved German Backpackers, as I was the first vehicle they had seen in 8 hours. They were a bit wide eyed and freaked out about the isolation and the thought of getting stranded in their Hiace "Hippy" camper van.

Mt Augustus from Emu Hill Lookout

Mount Augustus is an inselberg or monocline. Mount Augustus or Burringurrah is one of the most spectacular solitary peaks of the world's largest monoclines, it rises above a stoney, red sandplain of arid scrubland and is visible from the air for more than 160 kms. The granite formation is about 8 kms long, covers an area of 4,795 hectares and is estimated to be 1,750 million years old.
Cattle Pool, Lyons River
 Cattle Pool a few kilomtres from Mt Augustus is a pretty spot.

Cattle Pool Lyons River
Sunset Mt Augustus
One odd thing in the area is Dawson's Burrowing Bees, which have taken a liking to the circuit road around Mt Augustus.
burrowing bee hives in the middle of the road
These bees were amazing and huge..............the size of a small helicopter............not really but were about as big as the end of your index finger.

Mt Augustus
While returning to Carnarvon I was thinking about Mt Augustus.................while it does lack the visual impact of Uluru it is magnificent in it's own right.
Would I return to Uluru.................yes......would I return to Mt Augustus..........probably not.

Wildflowers
Recent rains have bought the bush alive and although I am still well above the "wildflower area" wildflowers were abundant.


Tomorrow I am heading North again to Red Bluff on Quobba Station for a while. I have had several days of only 22c and 23c and have froze. I am definitely not ready to head any further South until it warms up.
Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment