Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bowen to Townsville back to Bowen

Hello all
I headed back to Townsville for a few days to have a look around, as I only overnighted there on the way through. The last time I was here was probably about 1986, so things have changed a bit since then.

 I had booked a few nights, so took the camper off to give the ute a bit of a rest.

Magnetic Island from Castle Hill Lookout
Townsville looking South
Townsville looking North
Rowes Bay from Castle Hill
Well, the rainmaker has stuck again................after 5 days of retail therapy and 50mm of rain it was time to think about making tracks and heading South. If your area needs rain let me know...............over 100mm of rain in Alice Springs, 35mm of rain overnight at Mount Surprise, six days of rain in Cairns, now 50mm in Townsville I am considering hiring out my services as a Drought Breaker.

 
Gloucester Island off Bowen

 After over 20,000km and just over 6 months on the road, I have seen a lot..............so
I have decided to introduce a "What pisses me off" segment.


What pisses me off #1

A free/cheap ride for those not needing it.
To clarify - local councils pandering to the wealthy traveller by providing low cost or free accommodation to people with self contained rigs.
In my opinion if you can afford to by a motorhome worth over $100,000 or a caravan worth over $80,000 and a tug to pull it worth $50-60,000 or more why should you be given preferential treatment?
Example 1
Home Hill Queensland
The Home Hill Showgrounds provide powered sites for self contained rigs for $15/night
Yes, there is the free comfort stop in town but what if I would like power on an overcast day like today? the only option is a Caravan Park for $29/night.
Example 2
Julia Creek Queensland
The Julia Creek Free Camp, provided by the Council is available only for self contained rigs only. My only option is to book into the Council run Caravan Park at $20/night single rate.
You can stay in the Free Camp for 7 days then you can move to the Caravan Park for $15/night double rate to fill your water tanks, use the washing machines and charge everything up.........just doesn't seem FAIR to me.
On top of that the Council run a Free bus out to the Free Camp on Monday nights to bring everyone into the Caravan Park for a $10.00/head two course dinner.

I love a cheap/free camp as much as everyone but these councils are pandering to the people who don't need it.
I am self funded and am travelling on a tight budget but I cannot get all the lurks and perks that people travelling in well over $100,000 rigs get. 
It is the budget traveller that needs a hand, but the Councils are catering for the well off!
This is my Blog, and my opinions, and no correspondence will the entered into.

That's my rant for today people, moving on.....................
Tomorrow I am heading to Airlie Beach in the Whitsunday's for a day or two.
Bye for now

No comments:

Post a Comment