Saturday, April 5, 2014

Glendambo to Yulara (via Kings Canyon)

Hello all,
Leaving Glendambo the rain continued and continued.........by the time I arrived at Coober Pedy all gravel roads were closed, the main street was awash and it was freezing.

 I had planned to head out to the Breakaways, but that was closed also, my options were to sit in the camper out of the wind and rain or keep driving, so I chose the latter. I arrived in Marla late afternoon to the weather starting to break.


This has given me time to play around with cruising speed, with long straight roads with plenty of passing opportunities. I have found that at 80-85kmh I am getting 10-10.2 litres per 100k, the best I get empty is 8.5l/100k and this is fully loaded! 
The only issue I have with this is that the Great Walls airconditioning just doesn't work until it gets up to about 1900rpm. 80-85kph is about 1750rpm, so it's go for economy or sit on 90kph and be cool.
Anyway I arrived at Kings Canyon Resort to ominous skies again with thunder rattling around the hills.
View from camp at kings Canyon
 I hadn't even set up camp before the dingoes started skulking around looking for a feed, during the course of the evening I think I watched him visit every camp.

View from camp
Storms
After being woken by the dingoes having a party in the campground at 4.15am, the 3 bus loads of schoolkids took over at 5.30am with the bus driver thinking it was OK to idle the bus for 30 minutes waiting for the kids............well it was a case of "if you can't beat them join them" so I got up and headed for the Canyon just after sunrise.

looking back towards the carpark
 Well, I think the climb has gotten bigger in the 25 years since I was last here, or maybe I am just older..............but for a fat old bloke I did better than I expected.

from further up the hill
up the top
the walking track
There was a cool wind blowing when I started but by the time I returned it had started to warm up topping out at 34c.

the walking track
Kings Canyon
kings Canyon

stairs up from Garden of Eden
looking back where I came from
stairs down to Garden of Eden
Kings Canyon
After three and a half hours I finally staggered back to the truck..............with 10 million flies to keep me company. I decided to head to Yulara with the promise of thunderstorms tomorrow I may still get to see it raining on the rock. After a cruise around tomorrow I plan to head towards Rainbow Valley

Bye for now................

No comments:

Post a Comment