Sunday, April 20, 2014

Trephina Gorge, Arltunga, Ross River and Rainbow Valley

Hello all,
After a few days rest and relaxation in Alice, both my jobs were completed. The local Great Wall Dealer fixed my fuel filler problem promptly and efficiently, whilst I tackled the Camper roof winding mechanism. Both are good now, the camper roof raising and lowering quietly and effortlessly. It was time to get out bush and get dirty, so I headed out the Ross Highway towards Trephina Gorge.


After all the rain the Red Centre looks amazing and should be temporarily renamed the Green Centre, everything is so lush and looks like a big Park.

The Green Centre
Corroboree Rock
After Corroboree Rock it was on to Trephina Gorge for the night
.

The Green Centre
view from camp at Trephina Gorge
Trephina Gorge
Trephina Gorge
I had forgotten how beautiful Central Australia is, and to see it again after all the rain, and so lush is fantastic.
view from camp at Trephina Gorge
Next stop was Arltunga, an old Gold mining area, back in 1989 I used to drive this road a couple of times a week and it has certainly got a lot better. I spent a short while working on a mine at Arltunga.
old Arltunga Police Station
the old Lockup
old Arltunga Police Station
I wanted to revisit the old White Range Cemetery, which I saw back in 1989, so off I went to find it.

ruins at Arltunga
White Range Cemetery
White Range Cemetery
Mining relics at Arltunga
through the windscreen
the (green) Red Centre
the Eastern MacDonnell Ranges
After a stop at Ross River Resort it was back to town to restock before heading to Rainbow Valley which I had to miss on the way up due to rain.

Rainbow Valley



camp at Rainbow Valley
Rainbow Valley
Rainbow Valley
Rainbow Valley
Rainbow Valley
On the way back to town I called by the Transport Trucking Hall of Fame. It was interesting but I think they have so much to display but not enough manpower or money. It was a shame to see so many classic items just rusting away.


 I am in Alice now until Tuesday morning, when I am heading out to Palm Valley for a few days then on to Glen Helen and Orminston Gorge.
Until then, bye for now...............

No comments:

Post a Comment