Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Port Augusta to Glendambo

Hello All,
After sweltering for 2 days in Port Augusta it is now raining. Monday was 36c and dead calm, Tuesday was 38c and howling a gale, it was still 32c at 11pm last night. During the night there was about 15 drops of rain with the temperature bottoming out at 24c.
Well my mail from over east arrived this morning and after getting a very pleasant surprise at the Service Station I set off North. Pulling into Safeway in Port Augusta to top up the diesel I was shocked for it to be $1.42 cents per litre less 4 cents shopper docket, thats $1.38 per litre! I haven't seen prices that low for a long time.............at that price I filled the extra tank also, taking on 100 litres. Bugger the weight, with diesel reported as being $2.33 per litre at Erldunda and Kings Canyon, if I save $1.00 per litre.

So with 130 litres of Diesel, 95 litres of water and about 40 litres of Diet Coke I set off towards Woomera.
Island Lagoon
   The skies looked threatening, but I really enjoyed starting to see those Orange sand dunes again. I stopped for a look at the Museum at Woomera, this is well worth the slight detour and even better now that the man, who used to run the tours has gone. In 2007 when we were here he persisted trying to crack smutty jokes, even though no one was laughing, apparently he was asked to leave.......any wonder.

Woomera Rocket Launch Pad model
Woomera museum
Woomera Museum
There are both inside and outside displays, the outdoor displays are free, a $4.00 donation to get inside but well worth the money.


Woomera Museum
Woomera museum
Woomera Museum
Woomera Museum
Woomera Museum
I could see the weather starting to move in and with a strong southerly wind I decided to push on a little further, there was no use sitting in the camper all afternoon trying to keep out of the wind and rain.


Lake Hart Salt Pan
As I pulled up at Lake Hart I spied a solitary cyclist huddled under the picnic shelter, either German or Dutch, i couldn't pick the accent, totally covered in flies. there is still plenty of flies around. So, here I sit in Glendambo, no wind, occasional light rain, and a big line of thunderstorms on the radar heading my way. It should be an interesting night..........but a lovely overnight low of 16c. Looking at the forecast though, in about 4 or 5 days there is a 90% chance of 10-40mm of rain at Ayres Rock. A voice in the back of my head is saying "get there and see water cascading off the Rock"
I will see what tommorrow brings
Bye for Now............

No comments:

Post a Comment