Friday, July 25, 2014

Mission Beach to Ingham

Hello all
I didn't think much of Mission Beach, so moved on pretty quickly. 

Mission Beach
The only plus was, as I was leaving I had to stop and give way to a Cassowary...................I was beginning to think they were imagined as I had not seen one yet. The downside was, I usually travel with my camera on the passenger seat...........don't you know it?........it was packed away in the camera case, so no photos.

 I took the road out to Tully Gorge, now you need to know that Tully has an average annual rainfall exceeding 4,000 millimetres (160 in), and the highest ever annual rainfall in a populated area of Australia (7,900 millimetres (310 in) in 1950), Tully is arguably the wettest town in Australia. I was not disappointed.................the rain has reappeared.

Tully River
Tully River

 I am not having a good run on the road at the moment..............yesterday I sat parked on the Bruce Highway above Cardwell for 45 minutes waiting on roadworks, then today crossing the Cardwell Range just North of Ingham, in pouring rain and fog was a 50 minute delay after a single vehicle rollover, with the Air Ambulance landing on the Highway.


The weather was touch and go but looked like clearing, and I didn't want to double back to see Wallaman Falls, so I took the chance.
Wallaman Falls are the tallest single drop waterfalls in Australia, with a single drop of 268 metres.
Wallaman Falls (yes, it was foggy and I couldn't see a thing)
another view, Wallaman Falls
I was not impressed, so I waited in the rain hoping the fog would lift a bit.


finally the Falls started to appear
Wallaman Falls, the best view I got
Last night I sat and studied my maps and weather forecasts, as I am a bit over the rain and cool 24c days. I have decided that once I reach Townsville I will head inland towards Winton and Longreach (Qantas Museum and Stockman's Hall of Fame) as the forecast for that area is 29-30c daytimes and 10-12c nights. I am missing the sun................
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment