Friday, July 11, 2014

Weipa to Cooktown

Hello all
The journey South continued after leaving Weipa.

sunset at Weipa
After a few weeks of Tip weather, it was a bit of a shock to the system to get a 11c night at Musgrave Roadhouse. 
The dangerous, irresponsible, speeding idiot drivers on the road did not let up. I just don't get it................a lot of these people had kids in the vehicle! If you have to travel at these speeds to reach your destination, you have over committed. You have chosen a destination too far from home, to reach safely in your allotted time.

 
 Venturing further South, I detoured into Lakefield National Park to visit Old Laura Homestead. The Queensland National Parks Service seem to want to discourage people from visiting the Parks. In order to camp in the Parks, you need to pre book online or phone up and book. This is fine in theory but is useless in practice. I don't know what I am doing tomorrow, so how do they expect me to know days in advance................assuming I have mobile reception (which is highly unlikely) so subsequently I have been avoiding this stupid system.

Old Laura Homestead
Old Laura Homestead
old Laura outbuildings
Heading back to Coen and the start of the bitumen I continued on to Lakeland for the night. Next day I headed towards Cooktown for a few days. On the way was an interesting stop at Black Mountain Lookout.


Black Mountain
Endevour River Cooktown
7
Cooktown
The Endevour River is where Captain Cook beached his ship for repairs in 1770 after damaging it on a reef.
Grassy Hill Lighthouse, Cooktown
I think the rest of the crew is still up around Lakefield area, as I haven't heard from them for a few days. Tomorrow I plan to head to Lions Den Hotel for the night before continuing on the Bloomfield Track to the Daintree and Cape Tribulation while the others catch up.

Bye for now..............

No comments:

Post a Comment