Monday, March 31, 2014

Tumby Bay to Port Augusta

Hello All,
After an reasonably uneventful trip up from Port Lincoln I am in Port Augusta waiting for some mail to arrive.
The drive was uneventful until just North of Cowell, when I came across my first accident since leaving home. An elderly couple in a 4x4 towing a Jayco camper were turning into a rest area on the other side of the road, just as 2  ladies were overtaking them and they connected. I personaly always wait for a rest area on my side of the road before stopping. The 4x4 getting a bit of panel damage and broken steering and the ladies Mazda spearing into small trees on the roadside. 7 airbags all deployed with the Mazda being "totaled" but no one hurt fortunately.

 
 I headed out to Point Lowly with thoughts of free camping for a couple of days but it was chocka block. With the forecast of 36c followed by 38c the thought of camping in a rocky carpark with no shower didn't excite me much. The March flies subsided when dusk fell, but then the mosquitoes arrived in swarms, and for the first time since leaving home the mosquito coils were unpacked. It was a pity as the views across Spencer Gulf to the Mt Remarkable Ranges, and the lights of Port Pirie was quite nice.
I decided to head to Iron Knob for a look and ended up in Port Augusta. After my mail arrives I will be starting my trek North, with another look at Woomera high on the "to do list"
Bye for now.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment