Friday, May 23, 2014

Adelaide River (back to Darwin) to Mataranka

Hello all
After returning to Darwin to get the Waeco freezer repaired I headed South again covering country I had previously seen, so it was a quick trip down the highway. But while in Darwin I set up camp at Oasis Caravan Park, then looked across as someone was calling my name.....two sites along were the two couples I spent four nights camped beside in Alice Springs, so we were able to catch up on our travels.



First night out of Darwin was spent at Edith Falls but there was no swimming for this little black duck......I have a theory........a Crocodile is called a Crocodile for a reason, whether it be a saltie or a freshie IT IS STILL A CROCODILE to me. Other people were more fool hardy but not me.

Edith Falls
Edith Falls
Next stop was Katherine for a major stock up on supplies, with the weather still hitting 35c every day I spent 2 days alternating between the Katherine Hot Springs and the Caravan Park swimming pool.

While there I discovered I had been doing these hot nights all wrong...........with no Airconditioning in the camper I had been struggling with all the flyscreens open and the exhaust fan over the bed going flat out not doing much. Over the bed is a 3 speed exhaust fan called Create a Breeze, I now zip everything up tight and half open the flyscreen at the head of the bed. This creates a lovely cooling breeze over me while I sleep and has even had me reaching for the Doona during the night. I wish I had worked that one out sooner..............


After spending a fortune in Katherine, $192.32 in diesel alone, I headed off to Mataranka to spend the afternoon in the hot thermal springs.


Mataranka Thermal Springs
Mataranka Springs
Mataranka Springs
After spending about 3 hours in the hot springs, I headed to the Bar for dinner. Tonight is quite pleasant and hopefully I have left those horrible sticky nights behind.
Tomorrow I head East to Roper Bar and Tomato Island, where I believe is my last mobile coverage until Borooloola. From Roper Bar I am Heading to Lorella Springs Station for at least a week, possibly more and my last bitumen roads for quite a while.
I am all stocked..............140 litres diesel, 95 litres water, 40 litres of Diet Coke and a fridge full of chocolate..........lookout Lorella here I come.
http://www.lorellasprings.com.au/  

Bye for now....I will update next time I get reception.


No comments:

Post a Comment