Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Tennant Creek to Pine Creek

Hello All,
The last few days I have been in basically transit mode, getting through some fairly basic country to the Top End.


I don't know if the sun and relaxation are doing me any favours.............In Tennant Creek, I was asked when refueling if I had a Seniors Card for a discount (first time ever asked) but the lady must have taken pity as I got the discount. From Tennant it was a straight forward run up the 
Stuart Highway to my overnight stop at Daly Waters Pub
.
 
 I accidently timed this perfectly as the May Day Long Weekend Rodeo had just finished, my neighbours there, told me of all night drunken parties topped off with a young girl being dumped head first into the rubbish bin in front of their camp at 3.00am. Incidentally the same rubbish bin they had been disposing of their dog poo................




The Pub was established in 1930 to cater for the passengers from Daly Waters Aerodrome nearby, Australia's first International Airport.

old QANTAS terminal at Daly Waters
 Upon speaking to Tourist Information at Katherine, they informed me that it is their understandind that the road from Borooloola to Nornamton is closed and badly storm damaged. This is the road I hope to travel...........OK next plan, Head out to Edith Falls for the night.........burning off all around Edith Falls and smoke everywhere...........OK next plan, push on to Pussycat Flats at Pine Creek.


So now the plan is to head into Kakadu for a week or so, although I believe there are still a lot of spots closed due to flooding, then to Darwin for a few days to get the vehicle serviced. I then hope to head back to Katherine and check the road conditions through the Gulf to see if things have improved. Worst case scenario is I will spend winter in the Kimberley instead of the Gulf and do the Gulf next year.
A week or two around Darwin and Kakadu should paint a clearer picture.
Coming up also later this month is my 18 Month Review on the Ute and Camper, so stay tuned.
Bye for now.............


No comments:

Post a Comment