Friday, May 9, 2014

Pine Creek to Jabiru (Kakadu)


Hello all
Since leaving Pine Creek I tavelled up the Kakadu Highway to Jabiru. First night was spent at Mardugal Campground, a few kilometres short of Cooinda (Yellow Water).


Since passing Pine Creek the weather has changed drastically. Temperatures have gone from 28-30c and low humidity to 35c and 35-40% humidity increasing to 70-75% humidity at night and only dropping to a low of 21-25c. I am certainly flushing the sweat cells haha.


Free camping is proving difficult here with the heat, as I run a Waeco freezer, at these temperatures and humidity even the solar has trouble keeping up with battery demand without even a cool night to ease the drain on power.


Bunnings shade sail for drivers side
The other beef I have is that close to 80% of the places are closed due to flooding, I am not beefing about flooding but the $25 Park Pass should be discounted when you can't access most sites. I had hoped to revisit Gunlom this trip but it was still closed, a pity as I think this is the Jewel in the Crown of Kakadu, a truly magical place.


washing day at Mardugal camp ground
About mid afternoon the Wallabies started coming in to feed.







Unfortunately my neighbour in a Land Rover Discovery and big van (I hope you read this!) decided it was OK to run his generator for most of the day to power his air conditioner, so 
I decided to head to the peace and quiet of Cooinda caravan park to charge up.

All this flooding leads to............you guessed it! Mosquitoes by the trillions...............warm nights, trillions of mosquitoes and having to keep the camper closed to minimise insect entry is not pleasant. It is impossible to sit outside and enjoy the evenings. At night there are hundreds of Mozzies by my head, outside the flyscreen, trying to get to me, even during the day, if you are near water they are plentiful enough to carry you away.



Home Billabong Cooinda

Crocodile country
With only a few places not closed due to flooding, or the presence of not very friendly Asain Water Buffalo, my choices of placed to visit was somewhat limited. I did the Sunrise Yellow Water Cruise a few years ago and at $99 per person I decided to give it a miss. Gunlom, closed due to flooding, Jim Jim Billabong, closed due to flooding, Jim Jim Falls, closed to to flooding and Salt Water Crocodiles, Maguk, closed due to flooding, Anbangbang Billabong, closed due to Buffalo in area.................it was off to Nourlagie Rock.


Nourlangie Rock Art Gallery




Nourlangie Rock
I had hoped to camp at Malabanjbanjdju Camp Ground but the mozzies drove me out............the sky was nearly black during the day, it would be intolerable at night. I headed out to Cahill Crossing, this has always been a favourite of mine for Croc spotting but this time nothing............the most exciting bit was a flooded Magela Creek.


the road ahead Magela Creek
impressing the tourist in their Xtrail
As I pulled up some people in an Xtrail had been halted by the crossing, it was flowing at 600mm deep and a bit much for their Xtrail but I provided some entertainment for them watching me cross. My tyre diameter is 740mm so the depth was only 140mm short of the top of the tyres.
the road?
snorkel not required for this one




Cahills Crossing is notorious for two things, Crocodiles and people coming to grief in vehicles crossing the tidal causway into Arhnem Land.

Cahills Crossing casualties
this one only happened a bit over a week ago
Unfortunately people become impatient and don't wait for low tide and get stuck in Croc infested waters. Read the story of the Navara here

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-territory/student-jules-borells-holiday-in-northern-territory-takes-turn-for-worst-when-car-is-swept-into-crocodile-infested-waters/story-fnk0b1zt-1226901253658 
They spent the night trapped in the ute with a young child.

Cahills Crossing
typical East Alligator Scenery
I saw something else strange while there...........A late model Honda Accord Euro whick looked like it had been swamped and had been sitting there for some time. Peering through the window I guess it had been under water.








 Tomorrow brings another day and new adventures, Last time I was here I went to Shady Camp on the Mary River floodplain and was impressed by the scenery. I want to take the Corroboree Billabong cruise through the Mary River wetlands, and the good part is, it is longer and half the price of the Yellow Water cruise. So a couple of days getting to Darwin, then organise a well earned service for the Ute.
  Bye for now............

No comments:

Post a Comment