Monday, May 12, 2014

Jabiru (Kakadu) to Darwin

Hello all
Leaving Jabiru, it was time to head towards Darwin, as all the good spots in Kakadu were still closed due to flooding.


After a short drive I stumbled across a Gem.........Aurora Kakadu on the South Alligator River. They charge per person, the same price powered or unpowered, thus a powered site there was 
$14.50. the amenities were a little tired and if you ignored the resident Green Tree Snake who hung around the amenities, all was good. So for $14.50 I got a powered site and use of the Resort style pool and spa, which I had to myself for most of the day............very refreshing in 34c temperatures and 50-60% humidity.

Water Lillies at Mamukala Wetlands
 

After Mamukala wetlands I continued on to Corroboree Park Tavern, my destination for the night. I was booked on a Sunset Cruise, Every bit as good, and half the price of the Yellow Water Cruise at Cooinda, yes I have done both..........



At Corroboree Tavern they have a couple of enclosures, so I will admit the first pictures of a Croc and Buffalo are in cages, not in the wild.

Brutus
Buffalo
an evil eye
Now for the real stuff, after spending so long in the pool that afternoon I looked like a prune, I was picked up and taken to Corroboree Billabong in time for sunset.

http://www.wetlandcruises.com.au/ 

Corroboree Billabong
 It wasn't long before we saw our first Saltie. Corroboree Billabong is on the Mary River floodplain and has more Crocs per kilometre than Yellow Water.

Saltie in the wild
 The birdlife was the best I have seen, and all seemed to pose for photo's.

strange name....Wandering Whistling Ducks
 The Lotus plants were everywhere and were beautiful.

Lotus
Lotus Flower
Lotus leaves are water repellant
Lotus fields

We were lucky enough to see a Jacana, these tiny birds nest on the Lotus leaves.

Jacana
And of course there were plenty of Magpie Geese to be seen.

Magpie Goose
Magpie Goose
Although Crocodiles weren't that plentiful we did spot a reasonable size Freshie catching the last few rays of the sun.

Freshwater Crocodile
Corroboree Billabong
Black Necked Stork
Corroboree Billabong
Corroboree Billabong
heron
White Bellied Sea Eagle
The highlight was just as we were returning to the jetty, a Azure Kingfisher was spotted, it was stunning.


Azure Kingfisher
Corroboree Billabong
sunset on Corroboree Billabong
sunset on Corroboree Billabong
It was back to the Tavern for dinner and the worst night sleep so far. Minimum temperature overnight was 23.3c with 92% humidity. Not pleasant without Airconditioning in the Camper.



I am in Darwin now for a few days to get the vehicle serviced. I have been told by several people that The Savannah Way between Burketown and Normanton is closed, but I made a few inquiries and am assured it is open. Thursday I plan to head to Litchfield for a few days before getting to Mataranka and Borooloola............at least I may be able to escape this bloody humidity............
Bye for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment