Friday, November 21, 2014

Armidale to Lithgow via Hill end and Sofala

Hello all
As with all my plans, they are variable, and the basic plan is...........I have no plan. So after waiting for the heat to subside a little in Armidale I headed towards Tamworth.




Tamworth didn't do much for me , so I headed south towards Mudgee, yes a change of plans, I had planned to head down to Gloucester and Barrington Tops but decided on Hill End and Sofala instead.
 
Doing both Gloucester and Hill End would have meant quite a large double back, and with Christmas approaching fast I didn't want to lose that time. Pulling up in Mudgee, to use the Conveniences, upon returning to my vehicle I found two people waiting for me...........it was a couple I had camped with early March at Port Pirie South Australia. They had been waving frantically all down the coast trying to catch my attention. We had crossed paths a few times and they will be at the Rosedale Vic freecamp for Christmas, so I hope to catch them again then.

Historic Hill End
 Hill End was established in the 1870's during the gold rush and once boasted 52 Hotels. right in the town is a National Parks Campground for $10 per person per night powered, with Hot Showers $1 extra all within a few minutes walk of the Pub. So park up and walk the Historic Streets and Avenues lined with European trees.

Hill End (notice my Camper in the Campground in the backgound)
Hill End
Hill End
Top marks to the NSW Parks service for looking after this town and providing excellent facilities.



Hill End
Hill End
Hill End
Hill End
After a couple of days in Hill End i headed to Sofala, another Historic Settlement not far away.
Sofala Main Street
Sofala
Sofala

 
 The day was high 30's and a howling Northerly as I headed towards Newnes in the Wolgan valley on the Western side of the Blue Mountains.


Wolgan Valley
The road into the Wolgan Valley
I headed down into the valley with the wind howling. Newnes was once a large Shale mining area and is now a very popular Camping destination.

Newnes
Newnes
Newnes Pub 1907
View from the Newnes Hotel
I had planned to camp there but with howling winds, 40c temperatures and one narrow windy road access I though better of it with the extreme fire danger.
I ended up at Lithgow for the night. Tonight I plan to study the maps and decide my next move.
Bye for now,.









2 comments:

  1. i found this blog while searching for kelly lane up near howitt road out of licola. what a great blog to follow and what a gret life you have!
    when i have time i will read it all in detail
    and you have great wall, so do i. telegraph track, billy goat bluff and lots of 4wd stuff ,no problem at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback. I know kellys lane well, i took the camper through there last year. The great wall had done many thousands of km with the camper on including the savannah way, cape york, oodnadatta track, bloomfield track all with standard suspension and only seems to just get better

    ReplyDelete