Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Jindabyne to Omeo

Hello all
I am back in civilisation once again, I left Jindabyne and headed south along The Barry Way, this is a spectacular drive following the Snowy River.
seen better days
This old Bus caught my eye sitting forlornly in a paddock at Ingebyra. A bit further along  is Wallace Craigie Lookout.
Wallace Craigie Lookout (see the road on the hills in the backgoround)
The narrow windy road drops of the Plateau and descends about 1000 metres over about five kilometres to thre Pinch River below. The Pinch then flows into the snowy a short distance along.
this is my sat nav, the orange is my route and the darker line is the same route behind a hill (i told you it was windy)
Pinch River
The weather was stifling down in the Snowy Valley, I don't think I have ever been through here when it hasn't been hot. My guess would have been mid 30's. The Snowy was looking the best I have seen it in many years with good healthy flows of water.
The Snowy River
The Snowy
I arrived at Wulgulmerang to hang a right turn along the Limestone Road. This is a magic part of the country I first started visiting in about 1979-80. I was just poking along slowly as the road had a good surface but was fairly steep and windy when I spotted some wild Brumbies off in a clearing not far from the road. I stopped, crept out, got the camera out and managed one quick shot before a troopy came screaming around the corner at a great rate of knots and scared them away.
my only brumby photo
Camp that night was at Native Dog flat, a magnificent place on the headwaters of the Buchan River. the large Brumby population keep the grass mown like a lawn and with a nice Alpine stream flowing through doesn't get much better.
Native Dog Flat
That night was spent around the campfire chatting to a lovely couple from Paynesville and listening to the Brumbies snorting and fighting.
my camp
During the night I could hear the Brumbies walking on the rocks to drink from the creek, they seem quite used to people and the smells etc. People camped there the previous night were woken in the night to look out and see brumbies fighting right next to their camper.
my camp just left of centre and the couple from Paynesville at the right
Parrots
The bird life there was amazing with numerous Parrots of all sorts and Robins with a bright orange/red breast. The morning broke to rainy skies, although still very mild. but that was only the start. I packed up in the wet to head off to Omeo. About 5 kilometres down the road the sun came out which had me looking for shorts again, but wait another 10 kilometres and I have thunderstorms, lightning, and torrential rain. Yep I am back in Victoria, if you don't like the weather, wait a minute........
Lake Omeo
Even Lake Omeo (which is actually at Benambra) had water in it and the countryside was looking good. Lake Omeo is usually dry with the locals using it as a paddock. The storms have cleared for tonight at Omeo. I am heading to Bairnsdale tomorrow to have a look at the Silt Jetties on the Gippsland Lakes.
This trip is nearly over far too soon but I am looking forward to getting home and putting all my camping gear into the camper. I could only take what I could fit in the passenger seat of the ute with me, so the next trip will be good being equipped with camp ovens, outside tables and so on. Silk Jetties here i come.....
Bye for now
 

2 comments:

  1. G'day Baz, we are planning our annual Easter pilgrimage from Canberra to the Vic High Country and I am looking at basing ourselves close to Omeo on the Mitta Mitta River. I am keen to get to Omeo via the Barry Way and Limestone Road and wanted to know how long it took you to drive. Your stop at Native Dog Flat seems like a good idea. We normally head off mid afternoon on Thursday from Canberra so this option should allow us to get to the camp site and then get to Omeo reasonably early on Good Friday.
    I am interested to here your thoughts on the distance and road condition,
    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew
    Good luck with the trip. its only about an hour to Wallace Craigie Lookout from Jindabyne. After that all the roads are good surface (2wd)but narrow, big drops and windy so progress is slow. Don't expect solitude though,I was there last easter and all the 4x4 clubs and Brumby runners all head there given the few extra days for Easter.
    Once down from Wallace Craigie there are plenty of camps along the river before turning at Black Mountain and heading for Mt Wombargo. Depending on what you are driving... the Playgrounds, Native Dog and Limestone creek camping area are all worthwhile. ?Personally I would spend time at Limestone or Native Dog unless you specifically have your heart set on Omeo. Omeo Used to be a lovely quaint town but is now full of yuppies in their convertables and Coffee shops. Limestone Creek track and Playgrounds Track are 4x4 all other roads are easy unless the weather chops up.
    Cheers baz

    ReplyDelete